Monday, January 17, 2011

Reality

Today is one of those days. One of those days when the kids have been up an hour and I know we need a “do over.” I send Lily to her room to go back to bed for a little while…with these instructions. When you get up this time, we are starting over. We are starting over with a more pleasant attitude towards all of those around us. When in reality, I’m the one that needs to start this day over. I’m the one standing at the kitchen sink trying to just block out the incessant questions and the incessant crying.

Today is one of those days when we are riding down the road and I want to turn the radio up to block it all out. I don’t want to hear so I don’t have to answer any more questions. I don’t want to hear what is going on in the back seat so I don’t have to deal with it.

Today is one of those days that it takes all I have not to cry and to hold myself together. Today is one of those days when it takes all I have to not feel like a complete failure. I feel like a failure because I’m tired of answering the same question for the one hundredth time. I’m tired of putting the Handy Manny gloves on for the one hundredth time. I’m tired of  settling the squabbles over hats and tricycles.

So, I just sit. And for today I let it all go.  I don’t worry about cleaning up the lunch mess so I can put the Handy Manny gloves on his hands for the one hundred and on… second time. I just sit here and try to not be distracted by the toys that are accumulating on the floor so I can answer the same question just one more time.

I have so much to be thankful for each and every day, including today. But on the rare occasion, I have one of those days. Today is one of those days and I know tomorrow there will be more joy.

6 comments:

Jason and Jessica Cardin said...

Good post, Michelle. I am not a mother but completely relate to these days. Hang in there, they are over as soon as they start.

Alice said...

I can't believe those Handy Manny gloves haven't gotten "lost" :P I know I have seriously considered having things like that turn up missing....I just don't have the heart.;)

Trisha said...

Every mother knows a day like this one, Michelle! When mine come, I pray that I wouldn't grow weary in doing good, remember how rich God's grace is, and cry out for God to help me hold my tongue, enjoy the moments, and help my children know I really do DELIGHT in them. God bless you, sister, as you disciple those precious ones for His glory! You are so precious in His sight.

Tony C said...

That's real! I love my girls with all my heart, but I have these kind of days too. I find myself asking the question "Can I do this?"

I know the answer before I ask the question though. God loves me even when...

Hang in there. The day will come when silence rules your home and my home, and that breaks my heart.

Camille said...

Dear Michelle ~ I am sorry you had a day like that, but please know that you are not alone...I do know what you are talking about! I appreciated our mutual friend Trisha's response to you...how we need the LORD each and every day!! The older I get, the more precious HE becomes. Hang in there and continue to look to the LORD...HE is faithful and never leaves us. What a blessing it is to belong to HIM. :)

In Him,
Camille

Isaiah 40:31 and Isaiah 41:10

Tracy said...

Appreciate this post; like every other mom, I've been there! Grateful that God gives us the ability to do that which we absolutely can not do.