Thursday, December 16, 2010

Homeschooling: The Early Years Book List

 These first few years one of my goals is to introduce good reading to my little ones. I have put together a list of books that I have introduced or want to introduce to them during these preschool years. (Some of these are books for Mommy.) The books I have found so far are books recommended by Before Five in A Row, Simply Charlotte Mason, and some good friends that have been there, done that. I consider this a "rough draft" for the time being and hope to add more great books as we go along.

Momma's Book List
Preschool Book List
  • The ABC Bunny by Wanda Gag
  • If Jesus Came to My House by Joan Gale Thomas
  • Blueberries for Sal by Robert McCloskey
  • Make Way for Ducklings by Robert McCloskey
  • Poems and Prayers for the Very Young by Martha Alexander
  • A Child's Garden of Verses by Robert Lewis Stevenson
  • The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle
  • 
  • The Big Red Barn
  • We're Going on a Bear Hunt by Michael Rosen
  • Ten Little Lady Bugs
  • Runaway Bunny
  • Brown Bear, Brown Bear
  • Barnyard Dance by Sandra Boynton (other books by Sandra Boynton)
  • The Mitten by Jan Brett (other books by Jan Brett)
  • Guess How Much I Love You
  • Jamberry
  • So Many Bunnies
  • The Snowy Day
  • Goodnight Moon
  • The Shy Little Kitten
  • The Pokey Little Puppy
I was so lucky to have been able to preserve almost all of my books from my childhood. Several of these books are on my book list for the later years but even now...Lily enjoys Amelia Bedelia! I pray that each of my children will have the same love for reading that I had when I was a child.

some of my treasures
Do you have any books I should add?

2 comments:

Alice said...

I do wish I had kept more of my books. I loved the Little House series and am trying to regroup several of those for my oldest.

On the preschool front:

We were very blessed to have been given tons of my hubby's dad's books and been given others, some of which are on your list.

My son used to love ,Bear Wants More

Holly said...

The Little Mouse, the Red Ripe Strawberry and the Big Hungry Bear by Don Wood is a favorite and I am a Bunny by Richard Scarry. I can still recite I am a Bunny by heart.

"I am a bunny. My name is Nicholas! I live in a hollow tree..."