Thursday, April 14, 2011

Stormy Days

Can I just write with raw, postpartum, hormonal emotion today? Should you ask me how things are going…I will say, “Really well.” Because, the truth is things are going well. I have a baby that is as content as can be and completely lives up to her name. She has given this momma grace that is much needed…she has sheltered me from the storm.

But there are still days and moments that I want to cry. I do cry. Three weeks in and there are moments that I feel like a failure. I look at her and then I look at my first born and just wished I had known then what I know now. Because now, most days I feel like I’m back peddling trying to fix and mend what I feel like I broke.

Every bone in my body wants to ooze with love and kindness and gentleness…but every day when I have a new day…all that comes out is correction and instruction and harshness. I don’t want this to be who they see…but I also must address the foolishness of their hearts.

Before I go on this rant…let me make clear. God has a great plan. Every moment and every event of my seemingly trivial day is for His glory and for His purpose. I know He is sanctifying me. I know I should be rejoicing in all things. I know there is a greater good. I know that I should not grow weary because in due season I will reap what I sow…but…

It doesn’t make it easier right now. It doesn’t make it easier to nurse an infant and correct a disobedient preschooler…all the while the toddler is about to break his leg from standing on a bicycle seat. It doesn’t make it easier to pick up the never ending line of toys while you know toilet paper is being strewn out all over the bathroom and water is running over the sink because someone is washing her hands for the sixteenth time in five minutes. It doesn’t make it any easier that every day I feel like I’m the mean one, the one who can’t have fun because I’m too busy trying to maintain some type of order and control. Because if I don’t…won’t the whole ship wreck?

And that is where S-I-N rears his ugly head. That is when the whole world can see that my faith is little and I once again trust more in me than I trust in God. I. Want. Control. He has this ship under control and why can’t I just rest in His will? Why can’t I just let go?

And a great windstorm arose, and the waves beat into the boat, so that it was already filling. But He was in the stern, asleep on a pillow. And they awoke Him and said to Him, “Teacher, do You not care that we are perishing?” Then He arose and rebuked the wind, and said to the sea, “Peace, be still!” And the wind ceased and there was a great calm. But He said to them, “Why are you so fearful? How is it that you have no faith?” Mark 4:37-40

9 comments:

Lorie said...

Wow... just WOW! I needed this more than you know!

Alice said...

((hugs))

I know how hard it to do what you have to do all day and then throw postpartum into the mix.

Trisha said...

Sweet Michelle,
I e-mailed you....hope you got it. You're in my thoughts and prayers. Lean hard on Jesus, my friend. He has much compassion for our struggles with our flesh.

Persis said...

I had some severe postpartum days with just one. Praying for you, Michelle. His grace is sufficient.

Tony C said...

You are truly one of the strongest willed persons I know. That can be a really great thing for the Kingdom. Just look at Ruth as a great example of doing the small things with God first and where that can lead...or has lead. You have been blessed with a beautiful family!

Grateful for Grace said...

Oh sweet friend. I understand really. I long for heaven so I can shed this flesh that is constantly sinning.
But hear this: only a mother who is seeking the lord's best for her family would feel the burden of sin. Would feel and see where she is lacking. Be encouraged that God loves you so much that He shows you your weakness and that you are not being left to "go your own way". I'm encouraged by seeing it in you.
When the enemy is beating on your hearts door just keeping throwing Gods sovereignty in his face.
You are loved with an endless love.
Wish I could hug you and bring you a meal.

Susan said...

Hi Michelle,

It isn't easy with a new baby and a toddler, I vaguely remember that time way back when...and at that time I was not a Christian and I listened to all the lies (so you have a huge advantage over what I succumbed to when I was your age). I failed miserably, and in so many ways...and yet God has been merciful to me.

Those are some rough seas, and it is very good to know we have a merciful and gracious and forgiving Savior.

Cathy M. said...

Oh, darling. I'd forgotten about how those days felt. May God grant you a special blessing and bring you through this rough patch. I hope your Mom or Mother-in law or sister will come by and give you a little break... maybe a nap. And while you're napping, maybe she'll bake a pan of triple fudge brownies.

Camille said...

Hang in there and look to the LORD...moment by moment. Don't expect everything to fall perfectly into place too soon....HE will give you the grace you need....each step of the way!

Many blessings,
Camille

Isaiah 41:10 and Isaiah 40:31