Thursday, June 17, 2010

I declare my full guilt

I was reading earlier this week about a local politician involved in some legal and financial problems. Our family is acquainted with the man as he is quite involved in our neighborhood. Therefore, I had some personal interest in the story. Apparently, this individual took what is called the Alford Plea. An Alford Plea involves the person declaring his innocence but acknowledging the facts and evidence surrounding the case are enough for a judge and jury to declare the person’s guilt. The person will admit to some of the evidence in the case, but not to the act of the crime.

This was interesting to me as I had not heard of such a plea prior to this article. Upon pondering the situation at hand, I couldn’t help but think of how this relates to many Christians today. How many self-professing Christians actually understand the guilt of their trespass against God? How many have ever been broken over their sin? How many think they are pretty good people?

It’s almost as if they take the plea that says, “I know the evidence is against me, but because I’m a good person I still declare my innocence.” They are told their whole lives the story of God’s grace and their need for a Savior, but are never quite convinced the story is for them. Besides, they don’t drink…or have affairs…or murder or rape…or lie and steal. It’s as if they admit to the evidence of imperfection, but not to the crime of having a depraved nature.

With this lack of acknowledgment, the person may almost completely miss the gift of grace. Without the breaking conviction of sin, one does not realize the urgency of his need for Christ.

Let us examine ourselves to see that we have understanding of exactly why we need Him. Let us not be the men who say, “Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?” (Matthew 7:22) Let us understand our guilt before a righteous Judge. Let us deny our innocence and declare our wretchedness. Only when we come to this point will His righteousness be imputed to us.

5 comments:

Duane Scott said...

You are so right! I'm glad you commented on my blog yesterday. I really needed to read this today and be reminded to be "sold out" to God.

You write very well!

Tracy said...

Without understanding our sin, we miss out on the excellence of His grace.

God in His grace and mercy has convicted my heart of my true depravity. Daily I marvel in the gift of His loving-kindnesses toward me. Routinely I am sad at the depth of my selfishness and grateful for the bounty of His mercy.

I just re-read this and it sounds so "religious" but I really mean every word of it.

Michelle said...

Oh Tracy...the closer God draws me to Him, it seems like everything I say sounds "religious." What you said is very sound!

Mandee said...

Great point you have made.

Enjoy your weekend! :)

Mesha said...

WOW - I loved this Michelle! WOW! I've never heard of that plea either...but you are absolutely right with the comparison. "The evidence may be against me..." BUT I'm not guilty of why HE was crucified...I'm good. WOW - this hit home with me.

Thanks for sharing girl, have a great weekend. :)